Sometimes You Just Can’t Say No
I’ve had my M4 Pro Mac mini for almost 1.5 yrs and it’s been great. But I have been pushing its limits lately (heavily modded Skyrim SE in particular—there’s always a neat new mod that taxes performance a bit more) so I took a look at potential upgrades.
Apple offered to take my mini as a trade-in for only $150 less than I paid for it if I got a new M5 Max Studio. How’s that for holding its value? You really need to take that into account when getting Apple sticker shock…
Windows gaming alternatives to the base M5 Max Studio ($2500), spec and performance wise, are ~$500 more whether desktop or laptop (RTX 5070/5080-ish, 32GB RAM). At MSRP anyway. So we’re not talking a huge difference and after trading in the Mac mini it’s half the price of a Windows equivalent. About $1500 spread over 12 months, interest-free,…


I barely use my M4 mini these days other than applying for new jobs. So no taxing. Also, since my company has been doing another round of layoffs, I'm just waiting to see if I'm safe before I invest in anything new.